Sunday, December 16, 2007

but life is both a major and a minor key

I am a liar. I said I would talk about seeing Travis in Anaheim but I didn't. Well, time for Atonement. (So Vase On Sofa, you can stop nagging me!)

Ummm where to start. OK first of all, it was "Travis with Special Guests Maximo Park", and so we had to watch Maximo Park for like a whole 45 minutes first, and oh my god, I'm sorry Maximo Park, but
bleaghhhhhhh. I hated them! All their songs sound exactly the same, I swear! In the beginning I tried to appreciate the poor man's shouting until I realised just how many songs they were going to play ("This next song is about my ex-girlfriend... and this next song is about England... and this next song is about being in love..."). Then I gave up and kind of just stood there stoning while people jumped and screamed around me.

Oh I should mention that when I arrived at House Of Blues there were a ton of people lining up to get in, but we found a special express line and joined it, so we got in way before everyone else, and thus I could stand as near the stage as I liked! The venue was tiny anyway which was nice. I should also mention that they are totally strict about cameras, like they scanned everyone with metal detectors before we could enter, and I unabashedly (OK, semi-abashedly) lied to the nice man who was poking about my bag, and managed to sneak my camera in. But then I saw the security guy who was drawing his finger across his neck at anyone who tried to take pictures. And the security people who kicked other camera-smugglers out of the building during the show. So I kept mine in a hurry.

Anyway. Travis were awesome. I think Fran Healy is so super cute, with his Scottish accent and all, I could just hug him. Omg if I'm not mistaken, he had drawings by his little son stuck to an amp on stage, awwww!


(I took a picture while the guard's head was turned, ahaha.)

Um, here is what they played.

Selfish Jean
Eyes Wide Open
Writing to Reach You
Love will Come Through
Re-Offender
As You Are
My Eyes
Pipe Dreams
Beautiful Occupation
Side
Driftwood
Good Feeling
Closer
Sing
All I wanna do is Rock
Turn

Then he did some unplugged acoustic thing, and played Hit Me Baby One More Time. (I must confess! That my loneliness!), and Flowers In The Window, and 3 Times And You Lose.

Then Fran was like, "Dyou want us to do more songs? 'Cause we already did some extra ones. So we might as well." Then they did Battleships and a song I didn't know, and Why Does It Always Rain On Me.

It seemed really really long to me. In reality it was about 2 hours plus. Which is pretty long, so yay. I think they were kinda surprised at how excited the crowd was! Hahaha there were these spastic girls in front of me who were screaming out all the lyrics and shoving me. But yes, the show really rocked, they were great live, it was like all you could ask for from a Travis show! Thanks so much for telling me about it Vase!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHH FRAN HEALY IS MUSIC GOD.

MUSIC GOD NEEDS TO COME ON EAST SIDE NOW. OR RATHER, AFTER MY WINTER BREAK.

HE'S WEARING THE SELFISH JEAN SHIRT! SO CUTE! AH!

Anonymous said...

And, WTF okay.

"Atonement, playing in SELECT theaters, now."

Wth. In "select" theaters? HOW COULD THEY SUBJECT ATONEMENT TO "SELECT THEATERS" the nearest "select theater" is g.d. far away. :(

yellow elk said...

Well it's opening here in like January. So you can watch it here. But yeah, that's weird. Maybe they'll open it properly after a while? I don't know?