Saturday, January 05, 2008

see how they fly, i'm crying


Two movies.


So I enjoyed watching
Across The Universe yesterday, thanks mostly to the awesomeness of the Beatles and their music (and well, duh). But after that wore off I realise that I didn't really really like it that much, in spite of Julie Taymor's psychedelic visuals and her puppets and things. It was just so literal and that made it quite cheesy (especially "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"! Who's so heavy? Why, the Statue of Liberty, of course! Which we are hauling over the fields of Vietnam because we're in the Vietnam War). Also I had some problems with the story, which seemed to be about... everything that ever could've happened in the '60s.

It's still my favourite Beatles song though!

I had less problems with The Darjeeling Limited. Maybe because I've not really seen any of Wes Anderson's other stuff, so I wasn't sick of all his usual tricks yet. But yknow. I heart bright colours and whimsical dialogue and Adrien Brody and Jason Schwartzman and expensive suits. And while that's not a magic recipe for greatness, it's definitely some kind of recipe for charming-and-likable-ness. Hahaha.
"Five birds please." "But there's only enough for one bird!" "...Okay."

No comments: