Sunday, February 17, 2008

going on a search in some second hand stores

athlete

I have seen many, many good-to-great movies in the first one and a half months of 2008 already. (To recap: The Darjeeling Limited, Across the Universe, The Savages, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Atonement, Sweeney Todd, The Kite Runner, Juno; not to mention some stuff on DVD like 3:10 to Yuma.) And now I have yet another title to add to that distinguished list:

Persepolis

I liked it so much. It's such a charming, poignant, funny, graceful little movie. I suppose in terms of setting it's kind of similar to Kite Runner, but done in a totally different way (feminine as opposed to masculine, obviously). I liked Kite Runner, too, but I prefer Persepolis myself.

The animation was wonderful, so lovely and stylish. Why can't all animated movies be like this - simple, old-fashioned, hand-drawn. It made me really want to produce my own comic, like Marjane Satrapi, although of course her life story is a hundred times more fascinating than mine. I've never really given much thought to comics but they are such a cool and vibrant medium of art, aren't they? The good ones have so much life bubbling through their pages.

I know everyone's dying from exhaustion all the time, but maybe just consider going to see this? I'm so glad that it even came here, and that we got the English version, not the original French one (yeah! It's a French movie!). I hate when I want to look at the images but have to read subtitles at the bottom of the screen. Right, next up: There Will Be Blood.

No comments: