Wednesday, September 03, 2008

you know I love it when the news is bad

garbage

I like how during the one week break there's that whole emotional journey everybody goes through every time. It's part of the human condition. The weekend always starts off amazingly: Friday, Saturday, Sunday - the holiday seems like it will last forever, you are young and inspired and alive, anything is possible. Monday, Tuesday - still riding the wave, ages of time. Then it hits Wednesday and the mood is slightly different, you can smell it in the air like a storm is coming. Never mind, you tell yourself as you settle into bed that night, It's Still Wednesday. Then you wake up the next morning and ?!?!?!?! it's Already Thursday. Then Friday, Saturday, Sunday - just a downward spiral of guilt, regret, anger, despair.

After 12 years of one week holidays I like to think of myself as something of a connoisseur. A veteran. The last word on the subject. And yet I still can't pinpoint that exact moment between Wednesday night and Thursday morning when the scales are tipped and the little person inside your brain reaches out his hand for the panic button. Somehow, sometime, it just happens. I've witnessed this phenomenon every March and September since I can remember, so much so that in my head I've named those days - Still Wednesday and Already Thursday. I mean, there's Black Friday, right? They're definitely special occasions too. I can't seem to say the names of the days without adding those words in front anyway, let's make it official. Happy Still Wednesday then.

No comments: